Rock Valley College is excited to announce the new “Mobile Application Development Certificate” program! Starting Spring 2018 current and future RVC students can begin the exciting journey of becoming an mobile application developer.
The need for mobile app developers are in high demand and will continue to be in high demand in the future! According to the Department of Labor, employment of software developers is projected to grow 17 percent through 2024.
Rock Valley College has been teaching mobile app development courses since Spring 2013 and have had students as young as 12 take the courses with a high success rate. In fact, two RPS205 middle school girls took the iOS course in Fall 2016 and created an awesome video recording app that had custom filters like rainbow, starry night and the app also allowed their creation to be shared on social media as well.
CERTIFICATE ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS
This certificate program starts Spring 2018! A certificate is awarded upon completion of 11 credit units. Students will be required to learn both iOS and Android development skills as part of their required courses.
- Prepares the student for a career as a mobile application developer
- Develop the skills required to create applications for the major mobile device players including Apple iPhone and Google Android
- Create strategies to overcome mobile development challenges including memory and processor limitations, intermittent network access, and limited battery power
- Learn how to effectively use application architectures for a range of wireless devices via hands-on experience
- Explain the factors to consider when designing software for multiple platforms
- Increase confidence by implementing applications from scratch using best practice principles including object oriented design and test driven development
- Understand the relationship between the mobile market and other emerging technologies including cloud computing and social networking platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Acquire the necessary skills to ensure mobile applications efficiently utilize corporate data or data available from external web services
- Gain insight into new trends and features in the mobile device marketplace
CIS280 Programming iOS Apple Mobile Devices (Fall only)
CIS245 Programming Android for Mobile Devices (Spring only)